Skip to toolbar

Expanding Foam terrain

Home Forums Terrain & Scenery in Tabletop Gaming Expanding Foam terrain

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lancorz 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

lancorz
    Participant
    5699xp

Here’s what I’ve been experimenting with, I discussed this over Hobby Hangout in more detail.

Lance-1

Lance-2

After cutting the expanding foam into shapes I wanted for the overhanging rocks and scatter, I moulded around the gaps and base with some generic cheap grout filler mixed with some water. I followed The Terrain Tutor’s guide on this.

Priming it with a deep red/brown paint I covered the entire piece with PVA before drybrushing on a midtone of orange and highlighting with some creams and olive green paints. Nothing was branded so I can’t give exact paint schemes.

I plan to make a few more of these, my original idea was to make a stone henge piece for something I can place my Twilight pieces on.

tonysilvey
    7974xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice! What have you used for the orange and green lichen?

Are we going to see a “foot on rock” hero on this? 🙂

angelicdespot
    4686xp
    Cult of Games Member

They look really nice!   Aren’t you going to get in trouble though, for posting this in the forum rather than as a project?   We want to see you make these from start to finish!

lancorz
    Participant
    5699xp

@angelicdespot The forums need some love too. I may make a project for the bigger piece I have in mind.

angelicdespot
    4686xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ha ha – cool!

teddymademedoit
    Participant
    5159xp

These look great!  Seemingly so simple too

I also wonder how sturdy these are? I’m in the middle of sculpting a Rouge Idol over on projects and this could be a quicker version if I do another one

You think they’d hold together in a sculpt?

lancorz
    Participant
    5699xp

@teddymademedoit I think it would hold up, you could also pin them with skewers before adding the filler. I’d recommend trying it as it’s quite cheap and a simple process.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)