Skip to toolbar

Underwater bases, what to use?

Home Forums Terrain & Scenery in Tabletop Gaming Underwater bases, what to use?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  horati0nosebl0wer 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

iceeagle85
    Participant
    4965xp

Hello,

I want to make underwater bases for my Idoneth Deepkin and now I’m looking for basing materials that fit an underwater theme like fish, shells and corals.

Does anyone know basing materials like that?

bigdave
    3704xp
    Cult of Games Member

hmm, tricky one, first thing that comes to mind are the bags of coral sand and gravel you can get for aquariums – the problem is that I don’t know if you can get the constituent bits separately as it’s normally premixed in a big bag.  Mind you, I’m lazy, so I’d probably paint the base edge in a nice blue then just use it straight out the bag (completely unpainted) with some clump foliage to look like larger pieces of coral/oceanic plants…

lordofuzkulak
    6332xp
    Cult of Games Member

Your best bet is probably to hit up a pet shop and raid the aquarium section.

sotf
    Participant
    353xp

Go to the garden stores and look for the more bubbly type of lava rock used for some gardens. It tends to look really good as coral with the right paint job, and some additions from greenstuff or even the real stuff from the craft store of things like starfish and small shells.

Unfortunately, it’s extremely hard to sculpt things like the tidal ripples for sand and that could also make an interesting look as well

davehawes
    7768xp
    Cult of Games Member

Aquarium decorations seem like a good shout.

These sea accessories from Morland studios look pretty cool too

http://morlandstudios.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=380&zenid=jng5majfgkim06iu62k9rtp8f5

Also cool tutorial here

http://twistedbrushes.blogspot.com/2011/09/coral-reef.html

iceeagle85
    Participant
    4965xp

Thanks for all the tips and links guys, just one question about the moss and the lichen won’t these root away? Or is everything ok if I seal them with paint and varnish?

Just a thought on the detritus of sunken stuff. Take a look at Werner Klocke’s Freebooter’s Fate site. I’ve picked up a couple of the flotsam packs that contain driftwood, crabs and the odd anchor that might be useful. Its all scale so it should work if you’re looking to add a sunken wreck feel to your figures. I’m still in the process of playing with scratchbuilding some wreck inspired display bases and they definitely come in handy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)